Sunday, September 28, 2008

Nights in Rodanthe, "Or However in the World You Pronounce It"

So...my sister, nephew and I went to see the movie Nights in Rodanthe. Okay...I normally love this kind of movie. Definite chick flick, romance and sad all wrapped up in one. However, this was not to be! Picture this... a couple of middle aged, menapausal women and a junior high age boy walking into this small theatre. We're early, of course, because neither of us like to be late, we get our popcorn and sit down. Now no one is in there yet, so we're talking about how hot we are in there. We're saying, really loud, "Man, it's hot in here." "I don't know if it's my hot flashes, but it is really hot in here." So this teenage projectionist boy, hear's us and goes over and turns the air conditioner up. We thank him politely, he leaves and my sister begans telling me that the worst customers are middle aged women like us. Apparently, most are very demanding and aggressive in their behavior. Imagine that! We had a good laugh about it, and settled in to watch the movie. The theatre started to fill up and this very skinny college age girl came in and sat toward the back. Two minutes later, she got up and went out again. A couple minutes past and she re-entered pulling on a hoodie sweatshirt. When she got back to her seat, she told her boyfriend it was really cold in there. Jeanne and I exchanged a mischievous look and twinkling eyes, and nearly busted out laughing. Serves those pencil children right for not getting some meat on their bones. Actually, we discussed how we could have cut off some of our extra padding and wrapped it around her for a jacket. It sure keeps us warm. That is how the evening started and it just got funnier from there. Now believe me, bringing a junior high age boy to a chick flick is probably not the smartest thing to do, but when he leaned over during Richard Gere and Diane Lane's love scene and whispered, "Repulsive...old people should never take off their clothes," Jeanne and I lost it again. It started to be a giggling fest. The more serious and sad the movie became, the harder we laughed. We couldn't even look at each other without bursting out loud. I thought I was going to have to leave the theatre because I got those terribly offensive giggles that you try to hold in for as long as you can, and then all sorts of noises squeeze from your mouth and nose. It was the most fun I've had in a really long time. The movie was lame.....but oh, it was so worth the $6.00 and buttered popcorn!

No comments: